A spokeswoman for Garvan said the acid had been identified in a chemical inspection less than a month ago. “The small quantity of perchloric acid was scheduled for proactive removal,” she said.
“In accordance with routine procedure, [Garvan] has enlisted the assistance of Fire and Rescue NSW.
“Garvan staff were temporarily evacuated from the building as a precautionary measure only.”
Fire and Rescue is performing atmospheric monitoring.
Roads are closed between Victoria Street and Burton Street and Liverpool Street is closed to pedestrians.